13 February 2018

Harward and Chittick

This is the next story about assistance to the Police this month.
The initial inquiry I received was from a Senior Constable in the Goulburn Local Area Command. During a vehicle stop he came across the British War Medal and the WWI Victory Medal awarded to Thomas Charles Harward and Australian Service Medal 1945-1975 awarded to John Ernest Chittick.
It didn't take me long to connect the Harward and Chittick names. Harward's wife was Mary Jane Lillian Chittick. They married in the mid 1930s but I couldn't find evidence that they had any children. I provided the Senior Constable all the information that I could get together from the electoral roll and BDM records. He then used this to make the final connection and I received this update overnight.
Chittick was the nephew of Mary and was living with the Chittick's when Thomas died. Chittick has also since died, however, his wife is still alive. She had given the medals to her son but these were stolen in 1993. In the near future they will be collected from the Goulburn Police Station.
The returned medal tally is now 2205.

No comments:

Post a Comment